Saturday, August 31, 2013

Dear Principal: No DCF or law enforcement interviews


If you think your child may be about to be interviewed at school by DCF or law enforcement, you might want to consider having him/her carry a card similar to the one in my previous post and sending this letter to the Principal and school district administration:

Dear Principal ____________:

My/Our child, [Child's Name], has been instructed not to discuss any non-academic matters with school administrators and not to speak at all with personnel from any outside agencies until one or both parents or my/our attorney is/are present. The only exception would be an emergency that concerns the immediate safety of my/our child or other children. Under no circumstances is my/our child to sign any document or write out any statement unless I/we am/are present.

If any [Name of School] administrator desires to question my/our child regarding any incident, please inform me/us immediately and I/we will come to the school as soon as possible. If anyone from an outside agency desires to meet with or question my/our child, please inform them that you do not have parental permission for them to meet with my/our child at school and ask them to schedule an appointment with me/us. My/Our home number is [Home Phone]. My/Our work numbers, for school emergencies only, do NOT provide to outside agencies except in a medical emergency, are [Name, Work Phone, Name, Work Phone].

I/We intend to cooperate with school officials regarding appropriate matters and will require that my/our child also cooperate. We simply ask that you wait until I/we are present to undertake any questioning.

Respectfully,

[Parent's(s’) Name(s)] [Address(es)]
[
City(ies), State(s) Zip(s)]

The blog of Atty. Michael L. Rich*
Concentrating in Children’s and Family Law
37 Middlesex Circle – Unit 21
Waltham, MA 02452
781-373-1582, fax: 339-368-7662

Emergencies: 339-707-0050
mike@michaelrichlaw.com

www.MichaelRichLaw.com

*Atty. Rich does not represent this child or family unless his signature appears on the form.

Available to copy at www.michaelrichlaw.blogspot.com and for group members for download at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/kidlawrich.

It is strongly suggested that you have an attorney and consult with him/her before sending this form to your child's school.

No comments: